Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The (Not So) Grand Finale

Heartbreak Hotel, reservation for one please.

Now that my secret has been exposed I feel like every nerve ending I have has been sandpapered. I am standing at the crossroad of Front St. and Blast Ave., naked with a neon sign that says “Here’s my heart and everything in it.” Then along comes the soft subtle breeze of easy letdown and as the chill slithers its way down my spine, I watch my heart freeze…and shatter. I will drink the bitter potion of held back tears, I will wrap myself with the blanket of a renewed spirit, and lay my head on the pillow of new beginnings. As I slowly place my hope and love back in their bags, I glance at my trusty companion, Old Hurt. His smile is menacing and unsympathetic. Not even fighting back the I told you so in his eyes. He is cruel and unkind as he gloats and revels in my heartache. To be helpful, he suggests I leave my bags right where they are. I won’t need them he says. Not going to do me any good where I’m going. No, you’re wrong I tell him. Eventually I will need them…someday…maybe. Although for now they may be better off locked away somewhere. Safe and protected until they will be of use to me. I take one last look around at my life as it was and think you know, maybe I did like that you should’ve kept this to yourself wallpaper. Why did I ever rip it down? Those better left unsaid curtains sure did look nice right where they were. Now they’re on the floor in a pile, next to my vase of dreams. As I close and lock the door on my life as it once was, Old Hurt takes my hand and reassures me that I still have him, he won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. It’s sad and comforting at the same time. I am sickened by the realization that as I move into the next phase of my life he’s still hanging around. Then again, at least I’m making this journey with someone I know.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home